Friday, June 3, 2011

when the urge strikes

So Hudson has been battling ear infections for the past 3 months and we finally got referred to an ENT (Ears, Nose and Throat doctor). So yesterday we were on our way. I arranged care for Jaxson and Kailey so I could just focus on him and what the doctors had to say. Unfortunately we had to drive an hour to get to the hospital and I decided to drink a cup of coffee on the way. We arrived on time and checked in.

Of course you guessed it, I felt the urge to have to go to the bathroom. I decided that I could hold it. We waited for about 20 mins and got called into the exam room. We talked to the nurse, went in for hearing tests and then met the ENT and he did his own evaluation and tests. We then talked to him for awhile. Meanwhile, yes I still had to pee. When we were done we had to check out and set up another apt this meant sitting and waiting. At this point, my bladder was about to explode, it was hurting and I was holding it. My face must have looked flustered, I was wiggling in my seat and sweating bullets. Meanwhile, I was lugging this 23 pound baby around and sitting him on my lap. Once in awhile he would hit my bladder with his foot or arm and I almost lost it a few times, every time he did I almost peed a little.

Normally when this happens I either had a stroller I could keep him in or I had Kailey to hold him, but at that point in time I had neither. I contemplated my options:

I could bring him into the bathroom and try to hold him on my lap and go, although pulling my pants down and up while holding a child could be impossible, then to wash my hands,

I could find a nurse and ask her to hold him while I use the bathroom, looked around and saw no bathroom or nurses

Pee a little in my pants just to relieve the pain so I could get home, (just kidding, this was never an option although it did cross my mind when it hurt)

Bring him into the bathroom and put him on the floor while I go, (this was never an option either, never would I put my kid by the toilet in a public restroom)

So what do other mothers do when they have to use the bathroom and they have a small child who doesn't yet walk or stand very well??

Eventually I held it and the pain subsided, I was able to make it home. Some people must of thought I was crazy with the look on my face and pain in my bladder, wiggling in my seat, but it was bad for awhile, and when the pain does eventually go away, I wonder why?? Its not like the pee has left that area but it does eventually go away.

This situation reminded me of the time I was at the library with 5 kids and I got diarrhea, not fun!! Another story I will eventually tell.

Oh and if you were wondering how his apt went, he is scheduled to see an ENT surgeon in 30 days for possible tubes in his ears if the fluid isn't gone by then. He has slight hearing loss at this point but should get better when the fluid is gone.

1 comment:

  1. I have taken them with me and held them on my lap and somehow managed to still pull my pants up - not easy but when you gotta go...you gotta go!!

    ReplyDelete